Re: [MiNT] on Mega ST

Hi Paul,

> 2nd, although i agree ext2fs should now work with 000, that current
> work dates from around 2000 when Frank still had a 000 specific
> version (according to docs & info). I think here, that if Vincent
> fixes code for v4e then by default there should be 000 as well (may be
> wrong here, it may be 020+)

As far as i remember, the first version of the ext2 driver uses some
030 instructions to speed up some management operations.

> 1) use old Teradesk (3.97) or other desktop (Jinnee or Thing, and
> rememeber Thing is now free if you can find 1.29, there is key posted
> on MiNTlist and ACP list)

I have a 3.40 Seems it was not the latest version. I had used what was
available on my TT. But it worked very well on my systems.

> 2) atm, dont need any other fs.. if you want a SpareMiNT/GentooMiNT
> drive, in the meantime use MNX (Minix) and "minit" to format it (I
> finally found one, even though it is in "sys/tools" the FreeMiNT cvs).
> However you dont need this to run MiNT (or simple /bin)

Yes, if i started to play with MiNT several years ago it was on my old
1040 STF. And on this old machine i started with a minix filesystem
for a UNIX like environment.

> 3) You should be able to boot XaAES without mouse driver, alt arrow
> key support should still work.. in actual fact the mouse wheel driver
> should still work even if you dont have a mouse wheel, but in your
> case try only "moose.adi". If there is still a problem, then there is
> some new bugs introduced on 000 systems. It might be that there is 030
> code in there...

I did not test again XaAES without mouse driver because the crash
caused by ext2 driver occurs after i have seen the mini desktop from
XaAES and the crash without mouse driver before i have seen the
menu of XaAES. I now tested this again and nothing changed. If i have
no mouse river, i got the error after XaAES tries to load the mouse
driver:

  XaAES loader: Fcntl(KM_RUN) failed!

With mouse driver i did not get this error, XaAES boots and the <ALT>
arrow key support work. But i found a bug:

There are some keys (on german keybords) which you get with <ALT> key.
There are the german Umlaute on the keyboard:

u i p ü
 k l ö ä

And there are some <ALT> key combinations:

<ALT> + ü  ->  @
<ALT> + <SHIFT> + ü -> \
<ALT> + ö  -> [
<ALT> + <SHIFT> + ö  ->  {
<ALT> + ä -> ]
<ALT> + <SHIFT> + ä  ->  }

All this combinations did not work. Does the mouse emulation hides
all combinations with the <ALT> key?

> The FileSelector issue may be the reason ...

The FileSelector issue which i had was the result of the crash of the
ext2 driver. The FileSelector access the filesystem and ext2 driver
crashes. Without the ext2 driver i have no problems with the
FileSelector.

> Now just to get a mouse & desktop working..

It is working on my Mega ST and on my Mega STE :-) I was able to boot
into the desktop and run other programs (e.g. QED).

Best regards
Michael