Re: [MiNT] System call bindings

|>> I don't know if someone can understand this but here something more
|>> interesting in comments:
|>>
|>> Process domain affects system calls like* (...) *Fsfirst()*, and
|>> *Fsnext()*. (...)
|>

|> > When processes run under the *MiNT* domain, however, (...)
|>
|>> *Fsfirst()* and *Fsnext()* may not necessarily return the standard
|>> *DOS* 8 + 3 file name format.
|>

|> The Compendium is simply wrong here.
|

| For Mint in his state is wrong of course, I agree. Can someone could
| test on the old Multitos? For me there is no trouble to do what is
| write. Now I have official Atari documention comming with Falcon
| developpers, and I copy explanation comming with Pdomain():
|
| Atari doc:
| Pdomain gets or sets process execution domain. This is a number wich
| controls the behaviour of a process. The default domain is 0, wich is
| the TOS compatibility domain and in wich all system calls behave exactly
| as they do under TOS. Domain 1 is the MiNT domain; in this domain, the
| behaviour of the Fread and Fwrite system calls when applied to terminals
| are controled by the current terminal settings as established by the
| Fcntl system call. Moreover, file names returned from Fsfirts and Fsnext
| may be treated differently; MiNT domain process are expected to be able
| to deal with file names that are not standard 8 character name + 3
| character extension, all upper case, DOS file names.
OK. But the only thing concerning Fsfirst/Fsnext i can read in that text
is, that it behaves different if a process is in MiNT-domain.

It does not state, _how_ it behaves and how to deal with the
non-standard-8+3-filenames. And as far as i can remember, the
DTA-structure wasn't redefined, so it would be very unsafe to redefine
it now in global or just in your osbind.h.

I think, the clean and only way to deal with long filenames ist using
the functions that come with MiNT, as there are Dopendir/Dreaddir/Dclosedir.

Bye,
Andi
- --
Andreas Bär     asbaer@asrael.franken.de