Re: [MiNT] init and syslogd with memory protection

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Thomas Binder wrote:

> Well, I wrote "KGMD", didn't I? And if I recall correctly, you (at least
> Martin-Eric) wrote about "MiNTOS", which means that there might well be
> differences between the files (though KGMD is based on MiNTOS, but that
> doesn't mean the files have to be identical). And this also already
> answers your question where they can be obtained, right?

Well in order to be sure, I obtained again the KGMD basic archive and got
init and syslogd from there, but it still failed in the same way.

However I have now discovered that the problem relates to the virtual
consoles, and if vconsd is set to global then everything works ok
(mostly).

One remaining problem is that I can't log in from a terminal connected to
a serial port when memory protection is enabled. I get a login prompt, but
when I type my name and press return, the TT's hard disc makes some noises
and then the login prompt reappears. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, ST-Guide seems to fail entirely, it will load as a desk accessory,
but as soon as you select it from the desk menu, it causes a memory
violation. Does this happen to anyone else?

Lastly, programs operate noticably slower when memory protection is
enabled. For example normally when pressing return at the login prompt,
the password prompt instantly appears. Now it takes about 1 second. And
once the message of the day is displayed, the shell prompt usually appears
in under 1 second. Now it takes several seconds. And I notice much higher
load averages when performing many tasks compared to without memory
protection. Am I the only one who notices this?

Well appart from the above problems, the memory protection does seem to
work. If you can call it working properly with the above difficulties, but
hopefully they can be solved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And I apologise if the answers to
all this have already been written...

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |