Re: [MiNT] init and syslogd with memory protection

>One remaining problem is that I can't log in from a terminal connected to
>a serial port when memory protection is enabled. I get a login prompt, but
>when I type my name and press return, the TT's hard disc makes some noises
>and then the login prompt reappears. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've been reading about your problem and from what I can see, the problem with
the login stuff is not init at all. Init is doing precisely what it should,
ie. every time the controlling process on a tty assigned to have a login in
the config file dies, it starts a new one. That's its only purpose.

The problem you are having is with getty, it's dying, getting respawned, dying
again, etc. This is likely to be true with the one on the tty port too.

>From what I understand KGMD did some serious messing with getty which screwed
up its use on a serial port by hard coding the parity stuff into it. It's
quite possible that they accidently added some sort of dereferencing of an
uninitialised pointer somewhere in there too!

The golden rule for porting working software to a new platform is, make as few
changes as possible otherwise you'll likely to just be adding bugs. Getty as
supplied in MiNTOS was a direct port of the BSD getty program with as few
changes made as possible to make it build and work using the MiNTlibs
available at the time.

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator,                E-Mail:-steve@earth.ox.ac.uk
Department of Earth Sciences,                     Tel:-  +44 (0)1865 282110
University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, UK.     Fax:-  +44 (0)1865 272000