Re: [MiNT] init and syslogd with memory protection

> Well in order to be sure, I obtained again the KGMD basic archive and got
> init and syslogd from there, but it still failed in the same way.
>
> However I have now discovered that the problem relates to the virtual
> consoles, and if vconsd is set to global then everything works ok

Sounds good... I'll have to try that.

> One remaining problem is that I can't log in from a terminal connected to
> a serial port when memory protection is enabled. I get a login prompt, but
> when I type my name and press return, the TT's hard disc makes some noises
> and then the login prompt reappears. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like login might be dying of a bus error; it used to happen
to me often.  "Increase stack and call me in the morning", said Dr.Q.

> Also, ST-Guide seems to fail entirely, it will load as a desk accessory,
> but as soon as you select it from the desk menu, it causes a memory
> violation. Does this happen to anyone else?

Sounds like an AV_START problem.  Tried  setting ST-Guide to Global?

> programs operate noticably slower when memory protection is enabled.

--
Martin-Eric Racine       http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
The Atari TT030 Homepage      http://funkyware.atari.org//TT030/