Re: [MiNT] init and syslogd with memory protection

Hi!

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 10:39:07PM +1200, Mario Becroft wrote:
> I decided that I would try to use MiNT with memory protection enabled, but
> in that case the machine will not boot because both syslogd and init fail.
>
> syslogd seems to load ok, but then after a moment it causes a memory
> violation. However this is not fatal and the system continues to boot, but
> at the point where the login prompt should have appeared on the console,
> init causes a memory violation. Init is then restarted, it appears, and
> this happens again, and so it goes on until you reboot the machine. Even
> while all this is happening, the login prompt does appear on an attached
> terminal, and you can type in it. But at the point where the password
> prompt should have appeared you get nothing.
>
> So I take it that the version of both syslogd and init that I have include
> some kind of bug which becomes apparent when memory protection is enabled.

I rather think that it is the getty process that crashes.  Maybe also a
child process of the vconsd.  You could turn debugging on (with
CTRL-ALT-F1) to get an idea which processes are involved at start up.
Then you can try to change the memory flags of these programs to find out
the bad one.

Ciao

Guido
--