[MiNT] init and syslogd with memory protection

I decided that I would try to use MiNT with memory protection enabled, but
in that case the machine will not boot because both syslogd and init fail.

syslogd seems to load ok, but then after a moment it causes a memory
violation. However this is not fatal and the system continues to boot, but
at the point where the login prompt should have appeared on the console,
init causes a memory violation. Init is then restarted, it appears, and
this happens again, and so it goes on until you reboot the machine. Even
while all this is happening, the login prompt does appear on an attached
terminal, and you can type in it. But at the point where the password
prompt should have appeared you get nothing.

So I take it that the version of both syslogd and init that I have include
some kind of bug which becomes apparent when memory protection is enabled.

Is there anyone actually using MiNT with memory protection, and if so,
what init and syslogd program did you use? I don't know yet whether there
are any other important programs that will also fail, but no doubt once I
have a working init and syslogd I will find out.

I do recall using MiNT with memory protection in the past, but I disabled
it when I was running low on memory since without memory protection, less
memory seemed to be used. But now that I do have sufficient memory, I do
not know how I managed it.

Thank you for any suggestions.

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |