Re: [MiNT] Firebee Coldfire MiNT Kernel and NFS

On 02/09/2014 19:26, Vincent Rivière wrote:
I tried that to setup an NFS server on FreeMiNT, connected to it as
usual but using 127.0.0.1, and... same problem !! Slowness, timeouts,
improvements with video activity, etc.

By thinking to that again... it looks like the NFS client goes to sleep, then the remote server eventually times out. Just as if there was a multitasking problem, where the screen activity could force task switches and wake up the NFS client from time to time.

Globally, multitasking works perfectly on the FireBee. FreeMiNT works just as fine as on ARAnyM. The only software having multitasking problem is the NFS client.

That brings me to the fact that the NFS client is a kernel module, thus running in supervisor mode (or pseudo-supervisor in FireTOS). On the other hand, any other software work in user mode (Samba server, SSH server, NFS server...), and they work fine. So I suspect a multitasking problem in supervisor mode in mintv4e.prg.

I don't know how multitasking works in the kernel itself. I know that XaAES uses a thread, but I don't know much more. I don't know how complex and potentially long tasks such as NFS.XFS activity relates to the other kernel activities. I believed that FreeMiNT never preempt tasks in supervisor mode, but is it still true for NFS.XFS? And what happens when NFS.XFS calls other kernel services?

Well, a lot of interrogations...

--
Vincent Rivière