Re: [MiNT] Firebee Coldfire MiNT Kernel and NFS

Good observation, I guess we come closer.

Not sure if it’s the root cause, but at least I have a hint: on the Coldfire, DMA (which is used for FEC transfers), CPU and PCI compete for XL bus bandwidth. Bus priority is scheduled by the XL arbiter and can be soft-configured with different priorities. By default (and _I think_ FireTOS doesn’t touch this defaults), all three bus masters have equal priority.

I can easily imagine that DMA runs into bandwidth problems if the CPU is hogging the XL bus. This could explain why you see improved transfer rates during screen activity: in this situation, the CPU transfers data to/from video RAM (which is located on the FlexBus and much slower than SDRAM), with video RAM accesses forcing wait states to the CPU.

This will free XL bus bandwidth in favour of DMA.

You might remember we’ve seen higher network throughput with the EmuTOS  BaS-based network drivers? BaS reverts XL bus priorities, giving DMA transfers highest.
I’ve done this after I saw that DMA memory to memory transfers were faster on the m5484 LITE board than on the Firebee despite its lower clock rate.

Does throughput increase also if you have screen output on EmuTOS?