Re: [MiNT] Firebee Coldfire MiNT Kernel and NFS

On 01/09/2014 21:32, Alan Hourihane wrote:
NFS is and has always been slow and unreliable on all Atari's.

There is slow and slow...

On ARAnyM, it just works fine and fast.

On the FireBee, it literally takes many minutes to get the result of a simple ls. And there is no network overhead, when sniffing the traffic I see the FireBee requests, and immediate server results. There is an eternity (actually between 1 and 2 minutes) the between FireBee requests (ex: GETATTR calls). There is no retransmission, so I assume the packets are correctly received.

I noticed a further weirdness.

Using the FreeMiNT bootmenu, I have enabled the debug logs to the console. Then I have opened the TosWin2 console to see the logs during a simple ls.
The logs were *faster* when moving the mouse!

And I have just made another test.
During a long ls, I have opened a second TosWin2 window and I have made a quick loop writing stuff to /dev/console. It was much faster! As an additional proof, I saw the packets more fluently in the sniffer.

Definitely, on the FireBee NFS is faster when there is some graphical overhead. It could not be more weird.

There is something severely wrong in multitasking...
I begin to wonder if FireTOS and its internal multitasking (FreeRTOS, etc...) could not be part of the problem...

--
Vincent Rivière