Re: [MiNT] Gentoo FreeMiNT

From: "Paul Wratt" <paul.wratt@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:58 PM
To: "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Gentoo FreeMiNT

installations. The crux of Jo's content is "keep it simple". ATM the
two clash, which is a result of MiNT as it is now. This again adds to
user woes (pain)

Let's not mix FreeMiNT and EasyMiNT/SpareMiNT/Gentoo! FreeMiNT consists of the kernel, the AES and some drivers. Documentation for this exists, but it's outdated and even contradictory at some points. So the FreeMiNT project needs new documentation - a user manual and installation guide. The wiki Paul is talking about is under development, and as soon as it's a bit more mature, you're all invited to help out with this project. More details about this later :-)

Also, some ten years ago I created a simple MiNT distribution I called NewbieMiNT. It was nothing but an archive with the mint-folder (with the MultiTOS AES and some tools) and a simple installer that automatically tuned the configuration files to the detected hardware. I never finished this because I messed up my gcc-installation and got fed up, but I still have the sources and intend to create a very simple installer for FreeMiNT. If I succeed, I hope that this installer can become an official part of FreeMiNT, offering "one-click" installation and updates of the kernel and XaAES.

Distributions like EasyMiNT, SpareMiNT and Gentoo are a completely different matter. They must contain their own installer, user manual and installation guides. There is a SpareMiNT-section in the wiki but it's separate from the FreeMiNT-docs. I'm not competent to write any docs on these distributions. I have a plain, unmodified EasyMiNT-setup which is only used to run gcc from time to time. 99% of my time in front of the Milan is spent with GEM programs.

So to summarize:

1. FreeMiNT itself need good user docs and an installer. I intend to help out on that, hopefully the result will be a more pleasent experience for the inexperienced user. 2. The distributions also needs better docs. I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people than me :-) 3. FreeMiNT is not and does not require a full "unix-setup" like a lot of people tends to believe. Make it easy to install and well documented, and promote the advantages of a simple kernel+XaAES-setup. Make it more clear to the users what FreeMiNT is. There are still a lot of users out there that simply doesn't know what can be achieved with a plain FreeMiNT installation.

Jo Even

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4831 (20100203) __________

http://www.eset.com