Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is [long]

Katherine Ellis <kellis@fdn.com> writes:

> > What I said, and what I say this once again, is:
> >
> > Linux has better support than MiNT in regard to the discussion about
> > PCI cards.
>
> Great to hear, what PCI cards may I ask? who wrote the drivers? an atari
> user (happening to run LINUX?) or a "true" linux driver?

TV cards, Scsi cards, network cards, graphics cards, isdn cards, a s o.

I still think you're missing the point..

I don't say the drivers are for linux/68k.
I don't say the drivers work in linux/68k.
I don't say the drivers work on anything else but x86-based systems as of now.

I _do_ say that linux has better support for the cards.
                ^^^^^
                There is _NO_ architecture attached to this sentence.

I'm saying there are drivers available for use by whoever wants to use
them, because they are released with source code that can be read and
modified by anyone with an editor and a compiler.

This also goes for the free BSD-based systems, where such code is present
as well.

I'm not saying MiNT has these drivers. I'm not saying MiNT could read the modules.
I do not understand what it is that's so hard to understand about the fact that
I claim: "Linux has better support than MiNT [for PCI-based cards]".

Drivers where the code is available _can_ be rewritten to work for other
architectures beside the one they were originially written for.
It is possible, and it has happened several times.