Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is [long]

On 21 Feb 2000, Stefan Berndtsson wrote:

> Katherine Ellis <kellis@fdn.com> writes:
>
> > > What I said, and what I say this once again, is:
> > >
> > > Linux has better support than MiNT in regard to the discussion about
> > > PCI cards.
> >
> > Great to hear, what PCI cards may I ask? who wrote the drivers? an atari
> > user (happening to run LINUX?) or a "true" linux driver?
>
> TV cards, Scsi cards, network cards, graphics cards, isdn cards, a s o.
>
> I still think you're missing the point..

Ok, I am missing the point, could you make it clearer though? (honestly),
not that I am dumb, but I am willing to listen and learn something from
you. I hate when i don't understand something.

> I don't say the drivers are for linux/68k.
> I don't say the drivers work in linux/68k.
> I don't say the drivers work on anything else but x86-based systems as of now.
>
> I _do_ say that linux has better support for the cards.
>                 ^^^^^

ok so if you are talking about linux and not linux68k for PCI cards and
such, so I then could answer: Windows95 has better support than linux. SO
what?

>                 There is _NO_ architecture attached to this sentence.
Right, ok, I think we just happen to be on 1 architecture (m68k), so could
we stick to that? I might then follow what you want to say.

> I'm saying there are drivers available for use by whoever wants to use
> them, because they are released with source code that can be read and
> modified by anyone with an editor and a compiler.

hmm driver is architecture dependent, you don't access the graphics, the
same way on a falcon or hades, so I really don't see the relation.
Linux is not as generic as you seem to make us believe.
Heck, TC mode on falcon is not even supported with linux68k.

If it is to rewrite the drivers (for those who have their src free to
use), what's the difference? could rewrite them for mint/magic as well.

If a manufacturer gives the specs, and if enough atari users are
interested in the hardware, a driver will be done. (just like what
happened with cdrom writers, scanners, video cards) In TOS.

Linux68k is in the same situation as MiNT/TOS, If the manufacturer doesn't
want to give specs, you're screwed.
While this is not true with linuxi86, as binaries are florishing.

> This also goes for the free BSD-based systems, where such code is present
> as well.
>
> I'm not saying MiNT has these drivers. I'm not saying MiNT could read the modules.
> I do not understand what it is that's so hard to understand about the fact that
> I claim: "Linux has better support than MiNT [for PCI-based cards]".

Yes, I can also claim:

Linux has better support than linux68k.
Windows has better support than Linux.

Quite simple to understand.