Re: [MiNT] kernel development

> > even make sense to have a kernel regex or printf call because the kernel
> > is the only shared lib we have and this strategy saves memory, both
> > permanent and volatile.
>
> In fact in the case of regexp it doesn't save any memory out of the box as
> the kernel doesn't need regexp, right?

But user programs do.  What I wanted to say is that kernel code is
automatically shared.

In fact the situation is the contrary of the standard.  On standard Unix
you have to save every itch of memory in the kernel because kernel memory
can't be swapped.  For MiNT, everything that is in the kernel doesn't have
to go into the libs.  But in the end it doesn't help if we keep on
emulating everything for every stone-old GEMDOS version.

> Funny enough I am planning to ship a shared library regexp with my next
> release of the MetaDOS shared library loader. Unfortunately we *still* don*t
> have shared libraries in the kernel, though they would by MUCH more
> important then having hostname support, right?

Much more important and much much more difficult. ;-)

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000