Re: [MiNT] kernel development

> It (/etc/host) is neither read nor written by the MiNTLib.  I think
> it is also ignored by MiNTNet altogether.  Remove it?

I think so, unless someone positively reports it has a purpose.

> Why not make gethostname and sethostname kernel calls?
> Sethostname should either be called by /etc/rc.net or - which I think
> makes more sense with MiNT - in mint.cnf.

Actually, as Robert pointed out, systems that use DNS to set the
domain on the fly won't work with hard-coded domains or hostnames.

> Whatever program sets the hostname could also update
> /etc/hostname for compatibility with old software.

This, I agree.

> The file-system based solution is actually a work-around missing
> kernel functionality, isn't it?

After talking with my dayjob's admin, I learned that HOSTNAME is
usually set in one of the bootup scripts, then it can be requested
using the 'hostname' command, when needed.  The file /etc/hostname
is mostly there to accomodate older software that expect the file.

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The ATARI TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/