Re: [MiNT] administrativia

Martin-Eric Racine <q-funk@pp.fishpool.com> writes:

> IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL MiNT LIST USERS
>
> Recently, a _lot_ of messages on this list present inapropriately
> formatted texts.  Check your mailers for the following options:
>
> 1) Replies in the Subject line
>
>    Ensure your mailer uses "Re:" to mark replies, not SV, VA, AV,
>    or other localised abbreviated translations of "reply".

Using "Re: " *would be nice*, and is really the only thing from your
list that I would like to see done.

> 2) Character-set
>
>    Either use "us-ascii" or some sort of ISO-8859 character-sets.
>    Windows code-page and other X-romulan oddities are inapropriate
>    for emailing and newsposting purposes.

As long as the message is properly MIME'd, any character set should be
ok. The language matters more, please stick to english.

> 3) V-cards
>
>    Please disable V-cards or any sort of appended documents and
>    refrain from using HTML messages.  Plain text is mandatory.
>    (PGP signatures can be pasted at the bottom, instead of attached,
>     if you really need to include yours)

V-cards and PGP-signatures are generally a good thing, and will not be
discouraged. If *your* MUA doesn't handle PGP/MIME *or* vCard, don't
complain to the list about it.

> Similarly, many people apparently have forgotten about Netiquette
> basics, so here is a reminder on some issues:
>
> 4) Update the subject
>
>    If the original post was about "N.AES problems" and veered off
>    on "XaAES development ideas" (for example), update the subject
>    to reflect the change of discussion topic.

Updating the subject *would be nice*, but cannot be required. It eases
reading the posts to the list, but with the current volume, reading all
the posts shouldn't be a real problem to anyone.

> 5) Don't reply to _everyone_
>
>    If your reply concerns only to one of the original recipients,
>    don't keep the addresses of everyone initially contacted in the
>    first messages of a thread; reduce "To" and "Cc" headers lenght
>    where appropriate.

That would be nice, I think everyone knows these things already, it's
their MUA that automatically adds everything and everyone to the list of
recipients. This can be avoided by manually editing the recipient list
of each post, which might get bothersome after a while.

P.S. Martin-Eric, do I have to remind you that you are not the
administrator of the mint-list?