Re: Weird problems again with freeMiNT beta2.7/8

Hi all!

> You *do* use Thing to eject the Zips, right? Don't just press the
> eject-button, this might eject the disk before the cache is flushed. I
> haven't had any problems with my Zip with 2.8.

Be careful with writeback cache on removable medias!

> > Examing the zip with Edge I noticed that the max. root entries was set to
> > 256.
> > Why can't I copy more then 135 files to that zip then? I don't get this.
>
> Because VFAT use several entries per file. Both the 8.3-name and the
> longname use one entry each, so all files with long filenames will
> occupy two (or more? Frank?) FAT-entries.

Yes, that's right. The longname are stored in additional entries. You
need for 13 characters one additional entry.

You can solve this problem with a larger root directory or store the
files in a subdirectory. Or you use FAT32 (no limit on root dir).

> > I also noticed that when copying to the zip with VFAT enabled Thing's copy
> > function halted from time to time.

What do you mean with halted? If you use writeback cache the kernel sync
the filesystem automatically each 5 seconds. On slow medias (like Zip)
that need some time if there are a lot of modified cache entries.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040