Re: 2.8 and serial-port

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> Since this method is also used by HS-Modem, the cookie value put by HS-M
> has to be saved somewhere and copied back on top of the MiNT-generated
> cookie, to correctly report infos about possible hardware mods supported
> by HS-Modem.

MiNT doesn't generate a RSVF-cookie, it completely omits it from the
new cookie-list. From what I can figure out from the source rsvx.prg
does the following:

Run before MiNT -> Makes a copy of the RSVF-cookie and calls it RSVf.
Run after MiNT  -> Renames RSVf to RSVF again.

This makes the RSVF-cookie available to RSVF-aware applications again,
which is fine if you have applications that doesn't know about
MiNT-devices.

The problem with this is that applications can mess with the
serial-ports directly, even if MiNT has blocked the device. I guess
Geiger's HS-Modem device is designed to work around this, in this case
rsvx.prg makes sense.

Btw. if you just want to keep the RSVF-cookie in MiNT then just load
mint.prg into a hex editor and replace the 2nd occurence of the string
"RSVF" with "RSVX". No need for rsvx.prg then :-)

/*
**
*/