Re: Weird problems again with freeMiNT beta2.7/8

Hallo Frank,

am 07-09-98 schriebst du:

>Hi all!
>
>> You *do* use Thing to eject the Zips, right? Don't just press the
>> eject-button, this might eject the disk before the cache is flushed. I
>> haven't had any problems with my Zip with 2.8.
>
>Be careful with writeback cache on removable medias!

Yep, I learned this the hard way.

>You can solve this problem with a larger root directory or store the
>files in a subdirectory. Or you use FAT32 (no limit on root dir).

Is there a way to enlarge the root directory without partitionating the zip?

>> > I also noticed that when copying to the zip with VFAT enabled Thing's copy
>> > function halted from time to time.
>
>What do you mean with halted? If you use writeback cache the kernel sync
>the filesystem automatically each 5 seconds. On slow medias (like Zip)
>that need some time if there are a lot of modified cache entries.

I was/still using for the zip a writeback cache of 500 kb (good?)
Should it be better if I don't use this at all for the zip?
I was copying 203 small files ( 23 kb together). During this there was two
little pauses (maybe 1 sec).
I just tried it again. Yes indeed after 5 secs the first interupt
appeared. The second one 5 secs later.

CU
Martin
--
Otagger ß1.21: Hole drilled in ladies' room wall; police looking into it