Re: Weird problems again with freeMiNT beta2.7/8

Hello Jo,

on Sat 05-09-98 16:52 you wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Martin Nightowl Byttebier wrote:
>> Somehow the FAT was overwritting. I was switching forth
>> and back between two zip's. All the sudden a zip displayed instead of 158
>
>You *do* use Thing to eject the Zips, right? Don't just press the
>eject-button, this might eject the disk before the cache is flushed. I
>haven't had any problems with my Zip with 2.8.

	No, I don't use this. I've been thinking about the problem. It's
	quite possible I was just too fast with inserting and open the new
	zip.

>> I tried to repaired the disk
>> with Edge but I ended up with a totaly corrupted disk.

>Don't use Edge on anything but standard TOS-partitions! It doesn't
>understand VFAT and will corrupt the disk.

	Yes, I learned this the hard way. Is there another prog that can
	be used instead?

>> Examing the zip with Edge I noticed that the max. root entries was set to
>> 256.
>> Why can't I copy more then 135 files to that zip then? I don't get this.
>
>Because VFAT use several entries per file. Both the 8.3-name and the
>longname use one entry each, so all files with long filenames will
>occupy two (or more? Frank?) FAT-entries.

	Ah, I see.

>> I also noticed that when copying to the zip with VFAT enabled Thing's copy
>> function halted from time to time.
>
>How long did it halt? How large is Thing's copy-cache? And your
>write-back cache?

	It's just a fraction of a second but it stops. No copy-cache.
	Write-back cache is set to 500

TTFN
Martin

--
Otagger ß1.21: Intel inside.  Idiot outside.