Re: porting?

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Fabrice Gamberini wrote:

> would be to have a browser which would comply with the
> latest HTMl specs, plus javascript support. And only for

I don't think Netscape has a built-in Java virtual machine, you'd have
to go so Sun to get that one. The problem is that the Java-sources
aren't freely available.

IIRC Craig Graham runs Java on his Falcon, but this is a personal port
of a commercial Java VM so he can't distribute it. According to him it
works quite well :-)

> 680x0 (x>3) based machines (you have to support multithread),
> with loads of mem (>=14Mo)...

You can thread with a 68000 as well, but you're right about the mem.
I'd say that 20Mb *free* RAM is minimum to run Netscape... The binary
alone is somewhere between 5 and 10Mb.

> Wouldn't it be easier to just take those parts of interest
> and put them in an already existing browser ?

Or even better, write a new browser based around the interesting
pieces of Netscape-code. Now *that's* a huge task :-)

/*
**
*/