Re: Opera

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> look at the http://www.operasoftware.com/alt_os.html (and sign the guest
> book or mail them). It seems they would have no objections to port Opera
> to Atari if they receive enough requests (they already started with
> Amiga).

I don't think it's realistic to expect them to do this port, the
market is just to small. Amiga-users spend lot of money upgrading
their machines, the majority of today's users have atleast a 030@50MHz
with 10-20Mb RAM. The average Atari-user still has the good old ST
with 1-4Mb RAM and a 000@8MHz. Opera will never run on something like
this.

They will also have to make Opera either MagiC- or MiNT-specific, no
way it can run under singleTOS. This shrinks the market even more. And
then they have to decide between MiNTnet, STinG/STiK, PPP-Connect and
Termite (if it ever gets released). On the Amiga there's only one OS
and one networking API which makes it a lot easier.

We really need to ditch support for 68000-machines and start coding
for the new generation TOS-boxes. The almost fanatical "hey what kind
of shit is this? it doesn't work on my 1Mb ST with a TV and a
floppy!"-attitude that rules today won't get us nowhere.

> Opera is faster and more compact than Netscape. Looks promising, at least
> the Windoze version.

Yes, those Norwegians know how to code :-)

/*
**
*/