Re: porting?

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Howard Chu wrote:

> and all of which come with annoying amounts of inefficient code... My
> guess, since Netscape is descended from Mosaic, and was written by PC
> programmers using Microsoft compilers, is that the code sucks big time.

I believe Mosaic was licenced by Microsoft, which used it as a base
for their Internet Explorer. And I don't think the creators of Mosaic
used Microsoft compilers (but what do I know?), as it was originally
developed on unix-platforms.

Ditto with Netscape, IIRC it was first released on unix-platforms (I
remember using the first versions on solaris and irix early 1995), it
took a while before the Windows- and Mac-versions was released.

Anyway, considering the size of the binary and general complexity of
the program, I think it's safe to say that the code is a mess ;-)

/*
**
*/