Re: [MiNT] compile error

Mark,

I appreciate all the work you have done so far but I think you just did many things more complex than needed.

Oh you make it sound like it's easy but it's not or else it'd be done.  I see people package one or two things, but nobody pushing 100 updated packages except Alan and Vincent, two generous nuts with lots of time ;)
I'm pretty sure they value their time as I do. I've got about 50 packages installed on my notebook, all of them in 000/020/CF variants. What do you think, how much it takes me to install them on a new disk or when I screw up something? 10 minutes. wget && tar xjf && following script:

#!/bin/sh

export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
export CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
export PREFIX=$HOME/gnu-tools/m68k-atari-mint

export CONFIGURE_FLAGS="$CONFIGURE_FLAGS --disable-ipv6 --disable-shared --enable-static --host=m68k-atari-mint --prefix=$PREFIX --bindir=$PWD/_delete"

./configure $CONFIGURE_FLAGS && make && make install
make distclean || make clean

./configure CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -m68020-60" CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -m68020-60" $CONFIGURE_FLAGS --libdir=$PREFIX/lib/m68020-60 && make && make install
make distclean || make clean

./configure CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -mcpu=5475" CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -mcpu=5475" $CONFIGURE_FLAGS --libdir=$PREFIX/lib/m5475 && make && make install
make distclean || make clean

if I replaced 'make install' with 'make install DESTDIR=/ready/for/a/packager', I could directly make a package out of it, for each configuration.

Most new software you can pull down the spec files from their packages but they won't build without a newer version of rpm which won't build
[...]
That only proves how RPM crappy is, not that making Atari builds is hard.

Plus I was trying to establish build vs runtime dependencies so that an autobuilder could be made.  This isn't necessary to just "rebuild sparemint" but it's necessary to do it right and have the process become relatively automatic.
Here you can cheat -- ask your package manager (pacman, apt, whatever) on Linux, problem solved. Again, you can script this up as hell.

Yes we maybe will be able to get by without mmap or other things but it's a huge amount of work that isn't worthwhile.
I can't agree here. It really isn't as complicated as it sounds, it's only matter of right tools and automation.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org