Re: [MiNT] XaAES multi-language help needed

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Bohdan Milar <bohdan@milar.name> wrote:
> ..
> It is a bit more complicated with the fonts (but I guess not as much as
> moving to UTF). We need free (even the btmap) fonts to use in distributions.
> We need good SW to set a system font and may be better - to change system
> font on the fly. That would solve even the ISO/Kamenicky (or ISO/AtariST)
> dilemma for some users. Here we have to say - NVDI is dead! We need a new
> free VDI. Is it fVDI? May be, but I still have problems with it on real HW
> (e.g. it did not run with MiNT 1.17.x, but I had no time to try it with the
> new official 1.17.0 yet).

fVDI can be used to set a font, and can load any TTF fonts from a path
provided (AFROS - c:\gemsys\ttf )

It can also set a standard .FNT, and default "normal" and "small"
system fonts. See C:\FVDI.SYS in AFROS, or check package/cvs, for
details.

The version of fVDI on AFROS 8.12 works with 1-17-cur and 1-17-0
(installed yesterday). I think the only issue for real hardware is
finding the right .SYS video driver (there are no others with AFROS
except ARANYM.SYS). I do know there are a few people here using fVDI
with real hardware.

> I am sorry, I have no time and energy to continue thinking now...
> I hope it is clear what I tried to say.
> In short - loosing the compatibility (and it is debatable whether it even is
> for wester Europe) is much more comfortable then loosing compatibility with
> present and future. Although there are some technical topics to be solved.
> I attached the original KGMD ISO-8859-1 and my ISO-8859-2 fonts.

I think what you have written is a good way to some things up. Thanks
for the ISO-8859-2 fonts. I think they will make this issue easier to
deal with. Portable text files are always preferable to ones that need
converting, not that I can understand Czech or Greek :)

> Regards,
>
> Bohdan

Paul