Re: [MiNT] [Mint-cvs] [FreeMiNT CVS] freemint/xaaes/src.km

Hi,

On sunnuntai 09 tammikuu 2011, Mark Duckworth wrote:
> > "Check out the file again" means that there *can* be changes done
> > &  commited to the repository in the meanwhile.  Always diffing&
> > reviewing the changes before commit is good practice, then you don't
> > forget it.
>
> Maybe we should convert to subversion?  I'm pretty sure subversion would
> realize that there were changes and yell at you.

No version control can do that.  If you copy your older revision (with your
modifications) on top of a newer revision (with unrelated changes), version
control is happy as the file you modified (by overwriting) was up to date.

It's just other developers that won't  be happy when somebody unwittingly
already reverts commited changes/bugfixes.

On sunnuntai 09 tammikuu 2011, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> > Maybe we should convert to subversion?  I'm pretty sure subversion
> > would realize that there were changes and yell at you.

SVN advantages over CVS and local rsynced CVS repository are minuscule.

> Since transitions like this don't happen too often, maybe switch to
> git/mercurial would be idea at least good to consider.

I've myself used both. I like Mercurial more (easier to use etc), but Git is
more popular.  Feature and repository size-wise[1] they are about the same.
If you have a really huge repository, Git is faster, at least on top of
Linux.

Git and Mercurial make a lot more sense if one want's to switch version
control, but I'm not sure how well they work on Atari e.g. performance-wise.
Mercurial uses Python with C-extensions and AFAIK Git (at least earlier)
used Perl & shell scripts.

	- Eero

[1] *Full* Git and Mercurial (and Bazaar) repository size is same as SVN
    checkout of the latest repository content + your working version.
    With distributed version control systems, every developer's checkout is
    a backup of the whole repository, with SVN they have just the last
    version (with same disk usage).