[MiNT] rpm building

I am having another dabble with rpm building (libjpeg).

The sources make without problems so I downloaded the old mint sources
and modified the spec file to use 8b. So far so good.

bash-2.05a# rpm -ba libjpeg.spec
File /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/jpegsrc.v8b.tar.gz: No such file or directory

I ran into this problem before (see below) and I manually tarred up the
source. I was told that I shouldn't do this but I should modify the
spec file instead; but modify what ? Where does this reference to the tar.gz
come from ?

Regards,

Peter

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 13:11:05 , Edgar Aichinger <edgar.aichinger@aon.at> wrote:
> > A couple of years ago I was looking at how to produce rpm files so I
> > suppose the next step is to try to package popt.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I did quite some packaging for Sparemint several years ago (until my falcon's
> harddisk started to die and i had to make the move to linux/x86).
>
> I think the easiest way to do update popt would be:
>
> - install the existing old popt sparemint SRPM [1]
> - go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS (or was it /usr/src/sparemint, can't remember...)
> - modify popt.spec
> - copy the new src tarball to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> - run "rpm -ba popt.spec"
>
> Often the only changes needed in the .spec are to update the software version
> in the Version: header tag, and to write a new changelog entry.
>
> And there's a good chance you'll find fixes for porting problems like this wchar
> issue, which I somehow seem to remember to have seen before, could be it is used
> already with tho old popt rpm.
>
> Also if a new patch is needed, just make backup copies of the affected source
> files, using a descriptive extension (like .wchar in this case) or even just
> "something.c.orig" etc., then edit the source and finally run rpm's gendiff
> from outside the build tree to create the patch. Gendiff is a very convenient
> helper script IMO. See man gendiff or run "gendiff" to get a usage message.
> Then move the patch to SOURCES and edit the .spec file to include it.
>
> To learn rpm may need a bit of your time first, but later can save you a lot
> of it. I always thought it was worth the initial effort.
>
> Edgar
>
> [1] http://sparemint.atariforge.net/sparemint/SRPMS/popt-1.3-4.src.rpm

Re: [MiNT] Pilot link