Re: [MiNT] mintlib release

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 11:44 +0200, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> Frank Naumann wrote:
>
> > I like to make a new release of the mintlib. I have some questions about
> > this:
> >
> > - as I self used the mintlib not so much in the last time: How many people
> >   use the current-cvs mintlib? Has anyone noticed a problem/bug?
> >

> Hello, Frank !
>
> I have some remarks about the current CVS MiNTLib, here is the list:
>
> 1) gets() patch for TOS
> There is a problem in gets(), it appears only in plain TOS (without MiNT
> and without UNIXMODE=b). Simply calling gets() cause an infinite loop !
> I posted a patch when you were away, unfortunately it has not been
> commited. I attach it again to this message. I'm not sure it is 100%
> correct, however it is better, and it does not affect programs running
> on MiNT. I really would like this one to be included in the next release.

I've been using Vincent's patch and don't see any issues with MiNT.

> 2) Line A register preservation: some problems appeared with GCC 4 and
> the frame pointer, we should check that everything is OK (there is a
> compilation problem on libc_g.a, if I remember)

Ah yes. This needs fixing.

> 3) GCC 4 warnings. It would be nice, however not mandatory, to fix the
> MiNTLib warnings while compiling it with GCC 4.

I've got some of these in my tree. I'll get what I have out on Monday.

> 4) GCC 4.3.0 compatibility. There has been some changes in the include
> directories in GCC 4.3.0, so the MiNTLib doesn't compile out of the box.
> I didn't look at it closely, but I think it is very easy to fix.

I've not got GCC 4.3.0 up and running yet, but hopefully this week.

> 5) Initial stack problems. There has been some changes about the
> "initial stack", without a real comprehension about what exactly
> happened... I thing this is very dangerous, and probably the most
> important issue in the current MiNTLib...

Yes, indeed. I've reverted that patch to startup/crt0.S and put it back
as I had all sorts of trouble with it.

Alan.