[MiNT] obsolete aout binutils?

In these days we read here a lot of messages concerning cross-compiling and binutils problems. I took a look at the latest source code of binutils, trying to find the patches we have to add for our platform. But the whole binutils package is huge and its not easy to understand the purpose of all the files.

So I thought we could use a different approach:
Instead of bothering with modifying aout binary format (= it seems there is no more interest and support in this format), we could switch to elf and use a utility which converts the elf binary to the atari specific "flat" format. This approach seems to be used in uClinux (http://www.uclinux.org). They use a utility "elf2flt" which converts the compiled&linked elf output into their specific "flat" format. Under http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/gcc-3/ you can find the source code of the latest "elf2flt" tool which compiles (with small changes) against binutils-2.16.1.

Later, mint could start supporting natively the elf binary format.
But at this moment I think it's easier to modifie the "elf2flt" tool for our purposes.

Philipp