Re: [MiNT] Re[3]: usage of wind_calc()

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 18:52 +0200, SWE/YesCREW wrote:

> > My vote is for screw MagiC and screw N.AES.  Just create a path that
> > programmers can follow in order to support both new and old.
>

>   Yes, that is the RIGHT attitude.. screw anyone who thinks diferently..
> :(

My attitude is screw the old systems that will not longer be updated.
We've been over this all in this thread:  The new mode will cause new
applications that use it to not work on other AES's and will offer new
features.  Developers can make a choice to use this new mode or not.  If
developers start adopting it, it's THEIR choice for THEIR code.   For a
long time they may even be able to code to both modes and compile
different verisons.

So that's why I said in this particular instance screw MagiC and screw
N.AES.  Because very very very little can happen without creating
incompatibility in some way.

Other people like to use dead systems - I'd prefer to stay with stuff
that's alive.

And I mean look at other platforms...
On linux you have GTK 1.x and GTK2.x They had to redo the api completely
in order to gain some features that GTK2 and Gnome2 offers.  In this
case, all GTK1.x proggies had to be substantially recoded to work with
GTK2.x.  But there was no uproar.  There was no "you have a bad
attitude" there was no crap.  The devs made a decision and did it and
look where Gnome is now.  The only programs left that use GTK1.x (like
gnucash) still have their own solutions - and GTK1.x can still compile.
And users can't complain because XaAES/MiNT is able to be obtained by
anyone who is not cheap enough to have clone, aranym, falcon with ct60,
tt, falcon with other accelerator, etc.  ST/STe people from what I know
don't run MiNT and won't try to - and for them to expect themes and shit
on 10 year old hardware... whatever.. they can be crazy all they like.

Anybody who wants new software understands minimum hardware
requirements.  I'd say all these people who bought CT60's and CT63
probably want to see a real set of benefits from their expense.
MiNT/XaAES can realize that.  The difference between MacOS/Linux and all
these other projects that progress and our platform is that there's
clear cut leadership and tough decisions are made.  If the plan is well
formed, will be finished, has good leadership behind it and good
rationale, then yes - screw the ancient non-updated system.  I'm tired
of this crying - just make MiNT/XaAES fantastic.. the users will follow.

Thanks,
Mark