Re: [MiNT] New AES keyboard messages

Evan K. Langlois napisał(a):
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 07:48 +0200, Adam Kłobukowski wrote:
That is the basic idea, but note that I wish that Shift, Control, Alt to be reported like other keys, so application could know that Shift, Alt, Control are pressed alone.

Oh yeah.  In the proposed hack^h^h^h^h "interface modification", the
KEYSTATE event would report the status of the "modifier" keys as well.
You wouldn't get the ascii equivalent, but you'd get the scancode in the
key portion and the status of the keys in the usual place, when they go
up or down.

Why do you call that solution a hack? Is there anything unclean here?

For example, when CONTROL goes down, you'd get the scancode for the
control key in the upper 8 bits of the keyboard key, nothing in the
lower 8 bits since there is no ascii value and 0x04 for the keyboard
state.   For Control going up, you'd get the same scancode for the key
value, but the keyboard state variable would be blank.   This would
either require a couple of #define's for the scancodes of the modifier
keys to check there, or if you want to allow multiple keys at once, the
programmer might want to keep track of the previous state of the
keyboard modifier keys so you can see what transitioned.

The basic idea is, that on lowest level, all keys on Atari keyboard are the same (maybe with exception of Caps Lock, but I'm unsure of that), ie, on lov level there is no difference wether we push SHIFT or R or F1 or UNDO.

My idea is to return rather scancodes then ascii codes. Not raw scancodes - it should be inteligent enough to send the same code for (for example) Z key, no matter what keyboard (German, UK, US) is used.

The solution with aditional bits for modifer keyes and sending "emty" messages with modifier keys has some drawbacks:

1. It needs different handling for different group of keys, so all routines must be more complicated and more CPU time hungry. 2. If we ever would want to add support for non-atari keyboards, we could run out of options
3. btw. is there an asci code for Help or Undo?
4. With your solution we would have up to 256 keys and 8 modifiers... with my solution he have up to 65536 keys but no modifiers, what is better?
5. You can still get ascii codes with usual (present) keyboard handling.

This is basically what I used to do for mouse buttons anyway (if I
remember this correctly - its been 10 or 11 years, but its coming
back!).  Instead of waiting for a specific button, toss in the last
button state, OR clicks with 0x0100 to wait for the buttons to NOT be in
that state.  Then compare the returned button state with the previous
one to see which button(s) were pressed.  Double and triple clicks are
returned, although hopefully only 1 button transitioned if you get more
than 1 click.   This way you can get mouse click, mouse down, and mouse
up, and for all mouse buttons, basically what you want for keyboard
keys.  Then before calling evnt_multi again, set the previous mouse
button state to the one that was just returned.  You'd basically be
doing the same with the keyboard.

This involves constant poling for events, and eats CPU time.

I know that keyboard drivers do not eat much CPU, but we should always care.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl