Re: [MiNT] nfs

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:14:06 +0200 (CEST), Frank Naumann wrote:

> > Then I'm *really* interested in how you manage to run inetd and portmap.
> > Both of these crash at bootup and halts MiNT if memory protection is
> > enabled. I'm using the binaries from the Sparemint rpm's.
>
> It's an normal EasyMiNT installation with all the rpm's from the Sparemint
> site.

Hmm... As you may remember, my setup is (was) a clone of yours, you
installed it before you sent me the Milan. Now, for the last year or
two I've had lots of problems related to /etc/rc and whatever it does...

First, if I enable memory protection and run init.prg from mint.cnf, the
following programs crash due to memory violations:

syslogd
portmap
inetd
sh
getty

The result is that it's impossible to log in.

If I disable memory protection, I may or may not be able to log in, but
in any case the system is very unstable and will most likely crash in
a matter of minutes. In all cases, I've tried with only mint.prg in the
auto-folder.

If I don't run init.prg from mint.cnf, but instead start the AES directly
(GEM=....) and execute /etc/rc from mint.cnf, the following programs will
crash during boot:

syslogd
portmap
inetd

Everything then halts before the AES is started. If I disable memory
protection the result is the same as when running init.prg - the system
may or may not boot, but is very unstable if it boots.

My "solution" for the past couple of years has been to not run neither
init.prg nor /etc/rc from mint.cnf, but to start the AES from mint.cnf and
then run /etc/rc from the desktop. This will work if memory protection is
disabled, and the system is apparently stable. With memory protection enabled
I get the following error messages:

pid  29 (syslogd): MEMORY VIOLATION: type=private   RW=w  AA=300FA2 PC=11F8884 BP=1A70000
pid  46 (portmap): MEMORY VIOLATION: type=private   RW=r  AA=310FA0 PC=1AD75B0 BP=1AD0000
pid  48 (inetd): MEMORY VIOLATION: type=private   RW=r  AA=310FA0 PC=1AD8764 BP=1AD0000

Everything else seems to work fine though, and stability is fine. But I need
these programs I prefer to run with memory protection disabled. This is no
real solution though, as there's obviously something wrong somewhere...

I've thought of several possible reasons for this problem:

- Can it be a hardware problem? Quite unlikely, as I don't have problems with
  other programs.
- The relevant binaries are corrupted. I tried to reinstall syslog, portmap
  and inetd from the Sparemint RPM'm, but IIRC one of them wasn't available.
- There is a problem with my configuration files. I don't think it's very
  likely that this will cause such crashes, but I'd like to take a look at
  the configuration files (/etc/rc and the scripts it runs) from a known
  good setup.

Any help is much appreciated! :-)

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein    http://home.nvg.org/~joska/