[MiNT] XHDI, SCSIDRV are in a boat... (was Re: Shutdown() discussion)

Le Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:02:59 +0100 (CET)
Frank Naumann <fnaumann@cs.uni-magdeburg.de> a écrit:

> Hello!
>
> > Perhaps we could learn from the other "callback based cookie interface
> > (like XHDI, SCSIDRV, STIK and so on)" that you mentioned. Were these
> > already converted to a MiNT friendly version? If yes, how?
>
> In short words:
>
> XHDI (and the other) are mainly a jump table. FreeMiNT create now such a
> jumptable (like defined by the interface) that is pushed into the
> userspace of every process. These jumptable call a special syscall to
> enter the kernel in the correct way. The kernel syscall now decode the
> requested function and handle it. This is done for XHDI and SCSIDRV. As
> side effect the kernel now have a chance to check user privileges before
> performing such an operation.

Well, I still wonder why you want to keep cookies under MiNT for the ones
dealing with hardware. We should have a xhdi.xdd or a scsidrv.xdd that
creates corresponding devices in /dev/ directory, so we don't have to
bother whether to use one or the other. Keeping cookies in MiNT is not
something that should be considered a good thing. Every hardware access
should be done via using a XDD, the rest is dirty writing of software.
MiNT-aware applications and libraries should do this. However, the big
problem remains: where are those XDD drivers for all Atari hardware and
extensions ?

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://membres.lycos.fr/pmandin/