Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

Hello!

> > - cookies with jump tables are a very bad design; this is the TOS/MagiC
> >   way of system extensions (rather than through syscall enhancements);
> >   this will always conflict with memory protection or a VM module;
>
> I said it twice (and will gladly repeat) that _my_ opinion is to drop
> the __NF cookie under MiNT altogether and let applications use the
> syscalls.

This was not specifically addressed to you, just my opinion.

> This may seem easier (I was the one who suggested this originally in
> ARAnyM) but once you know something about the virtual machine you
> realize that all hardware accesses create serious slowdown and so you
> try to eliminate all of them.
>
> The NatFeats were designed to slowly replace all currently emulated
> hardware. It already happened for graphics, sound and mass storage I/O
> while networking was always our implementation (not based on any
> previous HW). So basically we are almost ready for getting rid of all HW
> emulation in ARAnyM and so we are definitely not going to implement a
> special hardware I/O again.

To come back to the poweroff feature, I don't think this is very
timecritical and need to be optimized very much.

And on work I use vmware a lot. It's a nice thing and it emulate all
hardware except the processor. It's very fast. For graphics it install
drivers for the guest os. Why not go such way?

Ciao
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060