Re: [MiNT] New filesystems under plain TOS

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> Yes, I'm using FreeMiNT on my Falcon most of the time. But there are still
> a few (older and/or badly programmed) programs that only run under single
> TOS.

I doubt they would work with an alternative filesystem under tos. The way
the filesystem is accessed is one of the most common reasons for old
applications not to run under MiNT, AFIK.

>  Furthermore on my 4MB STf I will loose to much speed and free memory
> when using FreeMiNT.

MiNT itself hardly reduces speed or memory. If you just use mintnp.prg and
skip the init suite and stick to the rom aes (comment out the INIT= line
in mint.cnf and put in "GEM=path/to/execgem"), the speed difference is
neglectable and the ram usage is something like 200-400K IIRC. Still
you'll have full access to any filesystem MiNT supports. (And even have
pre-emtpive multitasking ACCs). :)

Using the rom AES might also solve some compatibility problems, since "not
running under MiNT" often really means "not running under aes4/naes".

You might still need to run another desktop to be able to see long names,
but that's also the case when using ext2 under tos.

Good luck :)

Maurits.