Re: [MiNT] UTF-8 support

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:39:27 +0200, Guido Flohr wrote:

> > I don't think this will look any good, now that "winframes" has become so popular.
>
> If a box char with a down arrow is used, the resource designer's intention
> was most probably to copy the apperance of the window down arrow.  What
> should be bad about simply copying the window element then?

Because most people with MagiC or N.AES 2 use bitmaps (colour icons) for the
window-elements nowadays, using these would result in odd looks because...

a) ...you can't resize colour-icons with good results.
b) ...they'll most definitely stick out because they're designed only to look
   good in the window-frame and not with other "normal" objects. Just take
   a look at the large amount of "themes" available for MagiC or N.AES.

> proposal: There should be a VDI-based X server and AES calls should be
> emulated by X calls.  Designing something better than X may be a good

Go ahead ;-) I'm sure it would be an interesting project, but I'll wait
for virtual memory and shared libs before I start using X...

> idea, but making X available for MiNT (coexisting with GEM) would provide
> us with an enormous supply of free software (at least those packages
> that we can get to run).

Well, personally I find X-applications slow, unstable, unfriendly, cluttered,
poorly designed and mostly unusable even on fast "real" unix-boxes, so I'm
not quite sure if I want this on my Falcon.

> Another possible advantage:  Maybe it would be feasible to write optimized
> X servers for some graphics hardware or drivers for new input devices.

Not if the server runs on top of the VDI!

> Uhm, I know that there is not always a free choice of mailer at work:  But
> is there any way to configure your mailer to write proper linefeeds?  In

Unfortunately not...

> your posting there are only linefeeds after empty lines
> (i. e. paragraphs).  And what the heck is the "Nextel Epostleser"?

It's a web-based mailreader, the only site I have access to at work (yes,
they are really paranoid.). I could ofcourse use Outlook, but then you'd
have to look at it's peculiar header, stupid quoting and a 25+ lines
disclaimer ;-)

I'll try to remember to insert linefeeds manually in the future.

/*
**
*/