Re: [MiNT] UTF-8 support

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:38:52PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On 2000-4-27, Anthony Jacques <anthonyj@jacquesa.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > There also must be found a solution for keyboard input.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure that Atari introduced "loadable keyboard
> > layouts" into AES 4.1, and although it was not exactly
> > documented well,
>
> It existed before that.
>
> Anyhow, using that is completely pointless, because applications
> that use the NKCC library completely bypass any keyboard setting.
>
> One thing that would neat, though, would be to have a keyboard
> table loader that uses NKCC libraries to remap the keyboard
> mappings for the whole system (vcons, TosWinII, GEM).

For GEM the task would be rather trivial.  But I was thinking of the
console too.  German users know that wintel problem, that they always have
to reply with "zes" to questions (we have a QWERTZ layout, not
QWERTY).  I see no need to introduce that feature for MiNT.

Doing the mapping in the kernel should be easy.  Besides, it would allow
us to remap the keyboard on a system-wide and a per-process base.  I would
often be happy if I could use the standard keyboard layout but temporarily
switch to dead key processing for Qed (for example when writing something
in Italian of French).  Sure, decent editors like Qed can do that with
some kind of macro processing but I would prefer to read only one
documentation and solve the problem for once and for all.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-saarland.de/