Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT 1.15.1

> Ok, there are lot of criticism on the version numbering of the beta
> versions. So I like to hear your ideas about this topic for the next beta
> versions (that will follow in the next time).

I personally don't care much about numbering of the beta versions (as long
as it's increasing - e.g. A,B,C,D would still be OK for me). What I don't
like is the final version number.

I think that this recent official release should have been labeled with
1.16 at least. The reason for this is that MiNT version is stored in the
cookie 'MiNT' as major.minor. Thus both FreeMiNT 1.15.0 and 1.15.1 are
detected as the same version (1.15), unfortunately, even if the 1.15.1 has
got some major improvements (MMU040, TOS FAT removed, GEMDOS reentrancy?
and a lot more).

I would like to be able to detect the MiNT version in my applications and
I don't want to call Ssystem or whatever to see that this is 1.15.2 and
not 1.15.0. The Cookie value should be enough to get the version number
of a MiNT release. I also believe people use various Sysinfo programs that
will report 1.15 for both recent official releases (the reason is given
above). This could lead to an unnecessary confusion...

Petr