[MiNT] MiNTnet, connecting people [was: MiNTNet "land" bug fixed]

(Sorry you get this mail twice Jo-Even, I noticed too late I sent it to
you instead of the list) :)

Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:
> I have a similar idea involving STiNG: Write packet-drivers for STiNG and
> MiNTnet that simply exchanges packets, and set up a route between the two
> stacks :-)

My idea works for all stacks though :-) hmm that is, as long as they run
under MiNT and know how to access /dev/ devices.. there might be the
snag. :)

> Then you could use MiNTnet for the LAN, and STiNG's superior
> dialup-features (inc. IQ-masquerading) to connect to the internet.

Might be a better-spent effort to implement those superior features in
MiNTnet itself. :) (Writing a good browser would be useful as well but
that's a little over my head for now) :)

Using Sting as the internet-side connection would have the drawback that
you can only run the sting servers for the outside world to connect to
(and let's just say I'm not too impressed with the Sting httpd and ftpd)
:-) That is, unless Sting's masquerading can also forward listen sockets
(like ipmasqadm in linux 2.2.x).. can it?

> Btw. a much more useful (IMO) feature would be a SCSI packet-driver for
> MiNTnet, preferably one that use the generic SCSI-driver API. That would be
> the simplest, cheapest and fastest way to network my TT and Falcon.

Oh, one thing at a time. :)

Maurits.