Re: [MiNT] HARD-DISK DYING

Hi Martin!

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 12:54:28PM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> unless I am mistaken, my TT's hard-disk is dying.  After a couple
> of hours of usage, any time I access it, it spins up and down, or
> even comes down to a full silent stop, then reboots seconds later.

Sounds familiar to me. ;-)
Try a bad sector check with your hard disk utilities and try not to mark
the bad sectors because if there are many of them it is quite likely that
you will completely mess up your minix filesystem.  If the inode table of
the minix fs is corrupted that's already bad.  But it's worse to have it
wiped out.

If your harddisk is old, take an advice from an experienced:  Don't do any
further experiments with the drive, leave the power off.  Then go and try
to get a new one and after you have set it up, try to rescue as much data
as possible from the old drive.

Wish you luck!

Guido
--