Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib bug in tzset()

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 11:19:24AM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > Hi Guido!
> >
> > > Frank: Could you please remove the tzinit program from the kernel
> > > distribution? I will provide that with the MiNTLib instead.
> >
> > Ok.
>
> Don't think this is a good idea... it would mean that MiNT users would have
> to download something that is development related. We shouldn't blur the
> distinction between downloads for programmers and users...

Tzinit will require the timezone database and some functions (error,
getopt_long) that are only available in the latest MiNTLib release.

Putting the timezone database into the kernel distribution would even be
worse.  I also plan to include a locale database into the MiNTLib as soon
as I have implemented wide characters, multi-byte characters and other
i18n stuff.

The morale: Even non-programmers will have to install (parts of) the
MiNTLib in the future.  The next release will have a very handy
installation script so this should not cause trouble to unexperienced
users.

An alternative would be to separate these things from the MiNTLib but I
don't have the time to keep all these packages up-to-date.  However, it
would be no problem if somebody else volunteered for a "MiNTLib user
package".

Ciao

Guido
--