Re: Minix partition assignment

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:36:42 +0200 (MESZ), Frank Naumann wrote:

FN>> about the MiNT and its habbits while booting up. We have found out that it
FN>> should boot up from MIX (I don't know it exactly, if it is the right
FN>> assignment of minix partition) partition prefferably to the others.
FN>> TOS wouldn't find the MIX partition like he doesn't find the LNX or SWP
FN>> used by Linux.
FN>
FN>Please use 'RAW' as partition id. This will work fine with XHDI and Minix.
FN>Under PlainTOS these partions are not accessible.

MINIT.DOC (the documentation of minixfs) suggests to use 'MIX' instead
of 'RAW' - dunno why. Though 'MIX' partition is not found by minixfs (as
Jan told me). If it's true then there's a bug either in MINIT.DOC or
more probably in MINT.PRG (or MINIX.XFS) itself. It should be fixed so
MiNT would find 'MIX' partition. First, it is documented to work this
way, second it's suggested by XHDI standard (IIRC) and third it's more
logical than to assign the 'RAW' to minixfs partition ('RAW' should be
used for really raw data such as database space :-)

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer
   WWW: http://cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz/~stehlik/              MiNTOS/Linux user