Re: Ssystem bug

> BTW, does anyone remember when they changed the start of the year from
> March to January and why? Calling the 9th month the seventh always confuses
> me.

Yes,

it was about the first Punic war or even more early. The March started
both the consular and the "real" year in the Rome, but at that time both
consules died in a battle (Romans failed) in December and they had to have
two new consules very quickly, so they did a new election at 1st January.
Since that time, the 1st January remained as a begin of the consular year
for the Roman administration, and later for everyone. Nevertheless, the
tradition has kept old names of the months, and that's why we call 9th
month "the 7th" ("September" in Latin, from "septem" = seven) and so on.

What an unusual thread on the MiNT list :)

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.