Re: TOS platform

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> My reply to those who once tried installing KGMD and failed was:
> get KEMD_R2 and **READ EVERYTHING TWICE AND PRINT IT ALSO!** and then

I had serious problems when I first tried to install KGMD: For some
reason I just couldn't install a Minix FS! Everytime I ran the
install-script, the installation started but failed after a while
since it wrote to a TOS-partition. The problem was that I didn't run
my keyboard-mapper, so everytime I pressed "y" when minit asked me if
it was OK to destroy a partition, I really pressed "z"...

> the sources to Netscape will soon be public. I think porting the Linux
> 68k version for MiNTnet should be feasible and would give users who have

Porting Netscape to MiNTOS/X11 might be possible, but to get it to
work with an AES it's more of a rewrite than a port. Hardly worth the
effort, it would be more efficient to write a new browser from
scratch. It would definelately be faster, more stable, a *lot* more
compact and usable with even 4Mb.

> everything GEM-based (especially:  fsck, minit, PPP dialer) and possibly
> one VCONS for commandline/CLI.  IMHO, the current KGMD is WAY too slow,

vcons could be optional, since you can save ~220Kb if you don't use
it. However, I would strongly recommend virtual consoles, it's one of
the things I really love with this setup. No GEM-window can compete in
terms of speed and readability. And in real life you don't save much
memory, as TosWin use 140Kb of the 220 you saved by not running vconsd
:-)

/*
**
*/