Re: TOS platform

  ---re: various types of users; old ST should be dropped; focus on 030---
  ---re: convince PC-GEM fans to get KGMD + N.AES---
  ---re: convince PC users with problems to get KGMD + N.AES on 030---

Speaking of which - where can I get N.AES? I hear a lot about it
but have never seen it locally (souther california).

  ---re: areas of MiNT improvements:
         1) MiNT (AES 4.1) Browser with multi-thread

Yeah. Want this. I have been adding news-reading to my OVL, but it's
rather slow and boring without threads. Also with the current OVL
interface it's not easy to do followup postings. I've been considering
adding a pop://user:pass@host URL type, to allow mail retrieval. But,
it has the same problems with usability - how do you include message
text into the reply you want to compose. Looks like I will abandon this
work and look for new browser code instead.

         4) New MiNT distribution kit
            a) English  b) fully modular  c) upgradable  d) GEM based---
  ---re: convince people to move to MiNTnet to provide a standard
         TCP/IP stack on Atari in support of Opera or Netscape ports---

I downloaded Opera on my PC at work. I used it a little, found it
too unfamiliar, and went back to Netscape. I may try it some more later,
but really, it's tough to switch tools when you have other jobs to get
done.

  ---re: find new MiNTnet maintainer to upgrade to IP V and Masquerading---

  This is great synchronicity:

  for my presentation on internet software last week, at TAF's  meeting,
  I basically recommended people who need more than mail/news/ftp should
  consider upgrading to an SCC based machine (ie: MEGA-STE, TT, Falcon),
  with a strong preference for 030 processor.

Yeah, it would make a lot of things easier if we could ignore 68000.
I've kind of gotten tired of writing stuff for 68000 just to prove
it can be done - yes, it *can* be done, but why go thru all that pain?

  My reply to those who once tried installing KGMD and failed was:
  get KEMD_R2 and **READ EVERYTHING TWICE AND PRINT IT ALSO!** and then
  enjoy a fully compatible and easily upgradable environment. You won't
  loose GEM if you install MultiTOS or N.AES on Console.

  About PC-GEM:
  my provider's previous tech-support head was really impressed with my
  TT and said "Finally! Something that has Unix but real GUI and hasn't
  the name Micro$oft written all over it! I want one!".

  About a better browser:
  the sources to Netscape will soon be public. I think porting the Linux
  68k version for MiNTnet should be feasible and would give users who have
  no clue what a TT/Falcon is capable of an opportunity to consider Atari
  if a "standard" Browser/Mailer/etc. product also exists on Atari.

People already complain that Netscape is clunky on PC. A port would
probably suffer even worse performance. But I'm certainly looking into
it, nonetheless.

  CAB will not ever be able to upgrade to multi-thread, because its CAB.OVL
  interface is cast in stone and the original design did not leave room for
  that, so as far as CAB goes, we're stuck.

The old OVL interface routines are stuck, but Alex has continued to add
new function definitions to the interface. There is no reason we can't
get more goodies added to the OVL interface. It just hasn't happened yet.
But anyway, I feel there are a lot of problems in the interface as well...

  About new MiNT distribution:
  the way I already use KGMD suggests how I would like this done:
  everything GEM-based (especially:  fsck, minit, PPP dialer) and possibly
  one VCONS for commandline/CLI.  IMHO, the current KGMD is WAY too slow,
  as my experiences with installing it on a 25 MHz Stacy proved pointless.

Dunno about this. Yes, you can make an Atari running GEM & MiNT into a
multi-user Unix lookalike, but again - why bother? When I'm at home and
I turn on my TT, I want my GEM desktop, not a login: prompt. It's my
machine, single-user, I don't have to share its cycles with anyone else.
init, inetd, httpd, etc. - don't need/want 'em on my machine.

  About MiNTnet:
  Obviously, support for IP mk.V and masquerading is needed right now.
  Unfortunately, several emails to Kay Roemer and to this list remain
  without any reply. Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient knowledge
  to handle it myself, but if his CAB.OVL is an indication, Howard is
  the one I would recommend for this task. Howard? ;-)

I'm interested, but short on time. Anyone else who would like to
step up and do it will probably get to it sooner than I can. (But thanks
for the vote of confidence... }-)

  -- Howard

   >That's all for now. :)
   >
   >Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

  Well, it WAS long, but well worth it. ;-)

  From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
  Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
   Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
   payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
   address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
   <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>