Re: TOS platform

---re: various types of users; old ST should be dropped; focus on 030---
---re: convince PC-GEM fans to get KGMD + N.AES---
---re: convince PC users with problems to get KGMD + N.AES on 030---
---re: areas of MiNT improvements:
       1) MiNT (AES 4.1) Browser with multi-thread
       4) New MiNT distribution kit
          a) English  b) fully modular  c) upgradable  d) GEM based---
---re: convince people to move to MiNTnet to provide a standard
       TCP/IP stack on Atari in support of Opera or Netscape ports---
---re: find new MiNTnet maintainer to upgrade to IP V and Masquerading---

This is great synchronicity:

for my presentation on internet software last week, at TAF's  meeting,
I basically recommended people who need more than mail/news/ftp should
consider upgrading to an SCC based machine (ie: MEGA-STE, TT, Falcon),
with a strong preference for 030 processor.

My reply to those who once tried installing KGMD and failed was:
get KEMD_R2 and **READ EVERYTHING TWICE AND PRINT IT ALSO!** and then
enjoy a fully compatible and easily upgradable environment. You won't
loose GEM if you install MultiTOS or N.AES on Console.

About PC-GEM:
my provider's previous tech-support head was really impressed with my
TT and said "Finally! Something that has Unix but real GUI and hasn't
the name Micro$oft written all over it! I want one!".

About a better browser:
the sources to Netscape will soon be public. I think porting the Linux
68k version for MiNTnet should be feasible and would give users who have
no clue what a TT/Falcon is capable of an opportunity to consider Atari
if a "standard" Browser/Mailer/etc. product also exists on Atari.

CAB will not ever be able to upgrade to multi-thread, because its CAB.OVL
interface is cast in stone and the original design did not leave room for
that, so as far as CAB goes, we're stuck.

About new MiNT distribution:
the way I already use KGMD suggests how I would like this done:
everything GEM-based (especially:  fsck, minit, PPP dialer) and possibly
one VCONS for commandline/CLI.  IMHO, the current KGMD is WAY too slow,
as my experiences with installing it on a 25 MHz Stacy proved pointless.

About MiNTnet:
Obviously, support for IP mk.V and masquerading is needed right now.
Unfortunately, several emails to Kay Roemer and to this list remain
without any reply. Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient knowledge
to handle it myself, but if his CAB.OVL is an indication, Howard is
the one I would recommend for this task. Howard? ;-)

 >That's all for now. :)
 >
 >Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

Well, it WAS long, but well worth it. ;-)

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>