Re: meeting the license

In Email on Mon, 21 Nov 1994 20:17:34 +0100 (MET), hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de (M
>I guess there will be a long interval until MiNT 1.13, and that some
>subscribers of this mailing list will be distributing modified MiNT
>versions in source and/or binary forms, which raises the question of
>how to meet the requirements of the new MiNT license.
>
>Particularly, I would like "megapatched" MiNT versions to meet the
>license so that these versions can be distributed as full releases
>(and not just patches), and I'd like to discuss with you how to
>achieve that.
>
>1.  The license requires that "all modified files must carry prominent
>    notices stating that the files have been changed, and the date of
>    any change".
>
>    I've checked with Eric that it would be sufficient to put a
>    pointer to a "Changes" file into each changed file.  He suggested
>    something along the lines of
>
>    /*
>     * This file has been modified as part of the SuperMiNT project. See
>     * the file SuperMiNT.CHANGES for details and dates.
>     */
Good idea! I would recommend ChangeLog fileformat used in emacs for the
logfile. I would help people write changelogs.

>    I'll probably switch to a "ChangeLog"-like file which also
>    mentiones the date of changes (the current README.1ST doesn't do
>    that).
>
>    Another option would be to use an RCS $Log$ tag in each file so
>    that the log of changes would automatically be updated when the
>    file is checked in.
>
>    What do you think?
RCS should be supported! ( I'm currently trying to port Emacs V19.xxx to
mint and Emacs 19 supports RCS. I would be interested in the MiNT diffs for
Emacs 18 )

>2.  Eric has requested to use a different name than "MiNT" for
>    enhanced versions of MiNT.
>
>    To avoid starting a flame war, how about mailing me your
>    suggestion for a name for the "megapatched" kernel?  I'd then
>    summarize suggestions and any discussion to this list.

E-Mint/X-Mint (extended Mint )??

I would like to see a additional "rule" allso.

1. People adding something to MiNT must write a man-page for the added
feature. If he cant speak nroff, please send a "ASCII" man page. I think there
is people that is  able to convert it for him (Robert Krenn??)

I would allso like to compile a list of ported/writen programs/utilites for
mint and it current version numbers/patch levels and where to get it. The
list could be sent on this list on regular basis.

Annother thing that would be great is if we could coordinate the development
a bit. I dont mean that it should be anyone telling the others what to do but
it would be helpful if we had a discussion about what is to be done so that
we know where the MiNT (X-MiNT) is heading?
I find it a little bit har to follow the development for the moment.
Many times people just send their patches just beacuse that they thought that
it nice to have. Is every patch purpose known to everyone?? I dont think so.
In simple terms: What i would like to see is more cooperation between the
developers of MiNT.