Network number scheme/Dead list?

Hey, where is everyone?  Or am I just not getting anything through the
list?  I haven't seen a new message in weeks!

I seem to remember hearing something about some sort of scheme that grew
out of NFS for sending words and longwords over the network in a platform-
independant format (ie, big-endian! :-)...  Does this ring a bell with
anyone?  Can you tell me the real name of the routines/whatever I'm
looking for?

--
Chris Herborth                    \`o.0'       herborth@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM