[Freemint-list] Netsurf maintainer?

Jean-François Lemaire jflemaire at skynet.be
Sat Feb 25 10:19:43 MSK 2017

On Saturday, 25 February 2017 01:17:25 CET Miro Kropáček wrote:
> I think it has been discussed before, I remember even asking what exactly
> needs to be done? It's just matter of making sure the current code base is
> compilable on our gcc 4.6.4 or something else?
>
> Maybe they think our gcc needs to be updated but no, it doesn't. :) So if
> you have access to their ML, try to gather as much info as possible, that
> will make your offer/request much clearer.

I don't think the real problem is with the Netsurf automatic build system. I
always found their coldfire builds pretty slow anyway (something to do with
them being simply CF-compatible rather than CF-optimized, if I remember
correctly). Ole's build were always much faster (like 2 times faster). The
problem is since Ole stopped maintaining the Atari GEM fronted nobody stepped
up to maintain it.

In my opinion it's not really useful to trouble ourselves with daily automatic
builds of Netsurf if the Atari fronted lags behind more and more. Peter has
already posted on the NS mailing list several issues that seem to happen only
on the Atari version. And then one day the Atari version will simply not run
anymore. Not because of the build system, but because the frontend isn't
updated to take care of internal changes.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire