[Freemint-list] Let me introduce myself

Miro Kropáček miro.kropacek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 02:55:31 MSK 2017

Philippe, literally every bullet point of your skills is something our
project needs as hell (I can't emphasise the design area enough). :-)

While the constant lack of developers is of course a major issue, we always
somehow cope with problems, some brave soul do the fix here and there.
However, when it comes to UI and general "user needs", this has been
constantly underrated (Task Manager and File Selector in XaAES come to my
mind as obvious examples). The fact there hasn't been a decent FreeMiNT
distribution until the arrival of the FireBee and Jo's Vanilla/FB MiNT and
then yours EasyAraMiNT speaks for itself (I don't consider EasyMiNT a
decent distribution -- the goal was there but in the end, UX/initial config
was just terrible).

With the new issue tracker on github, anyone would be able to express
his/her wishes (there are even likes, as a form of vote), be it a design or
system issue and everyone else would see that and comment. Typical example
are the gradients, I remember a heated discussion few years back when
Helmut refused to accept that users can't really fire up a C compiler and
do gradients that way. :-) But since it had happened only on the mailing
list, normal users couldn't really step in.

I think only very few people realise how flexible FreeMiNT is, to this day
many people think that FreeMiNT = command line and super slow boot.

On 17 January 2017 at 09:36, Philippe Noble <philippe.noble at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you guys for this warm welcome.
>
> I realized that I had forgotten to describe what I can't do, and what I
> can :
> I am not a developer.
> I am more a super user.
> I have a good practical knowledge of Mint, XaAES, Tos ,emulators and most
> of the Atari ecosystem.
> I know quite well Linux and shell scripting.
> I am strong in system integration and building distribution.
> I have a common sens of aesthetic, design, user experience and ergonomic.
> I hope that I could help.
>
> My equipments:
> Atari STE 12Mo + IDE SSD + Multisync VGA
> Falcon 030 + 14MB + IDE SSD + SCSI CF + SCSI CDROM + SCSI Ethernet + FDI +
> FA8 + Multisync VGA
> Firebee
> Nuc i5 for Aranym (Ubuntu)
> RaPi3 for Hatari and other stuffs (MiniBian)

>> On 15/01/2017 23:48, Philippe Noble wrote:
>> > As it is my first post in this mailing list, let me introduce myself.
>>
>> Welcome here, Philippe :-)
>>
>> BeeKey and BeePi are great! I have just advertised them there:
>> https://www.facebook.com/emutos/posts/1426920914005152
>>
>> Really, this is the most complete and beautiful FreeMiNT distribution I
>> have ever seen. Not to mention the excellent integration of Ubuntu,
>> ARAnyM and Hatari. And most of all, EmuTOS :-)
>>
>> --
>> Vincent Rivière
>>

> --
> Philippe.noble at gmail.com